Pages

Saturday, September 1, 2007

Adoptions

I work with adoptions and I love my job, but today I got kind of a revelation. I was eating out for breakfast and I saw a Caucasian family with two Vietnamese children eating also. It was cute, don't get me wrong, but it made me think about something I encounter in my line of work. When working with families who want to adopt you do have to think about the cultural and racial implications of adopting a child of another race. You have to think about can you meet that child's needs? Will your family be accepting? How will you address the child when they ask why do they look different? And there are so many other things you have to consider. But why is it easier for a family to go accept a child from another country versus a child of African American heritage? Rather a child be African American, Hispanic, Asian American, or African the child will look different and some of the same issues (not all) you will have to deal with. I am just making an observation...

No comments: