Pages

Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Assumption #1 (Relationships)


Yesterday I wrote a blog on assumptions and stated that I would write about assumptions people usually make about me. The first one I decided to write about is relationships. I think this will be a hard one for me to talk about and was going to avoid it, but decided to just let it flow and see what happens. I write to get things out, sometimes things don't make sense, but oh well.

For me relationships are interesting...I won't go into a lot of details, but I am very unique in my experiences and most people have no clue what I think about relationships. When discussing relationships I offer my thoughts when I feel inclined to, but most people don't understand or listen, oh well.

A few years ago I made a list of everything I wanted in a mate, I honestly do not know where that list is, but I do remember that most of the things were not superficial which shocks most people. I think one day I will rewrite the list and might even add a few things. We will see.

But one thing most people assume that I want in a relationship is a man with money, so not true. People assume because I like (okay...love) to spend money that a person that I am in a relationship with should be able to have money. I am not saying I want someone that is broke, but is not a top priority for me. I work hard for what I want and I want the other person to do the same. My friends so I can be bougie (still can't spell that word) and will not talk to someone who might be a mechanic cashier, janitor, or so one...you get the picture. Once again not true!! I love to have conversations about various topics and I like to associate with people who can do the same. I love to read and challenge my brain and would like a person who can do the same. Is that too much to ask?

I just touched on a couple of things people assume about me and what I want in a relationship...There are so many things that go into making a relationship work and so many things that I think about when it comes to relationships that I could go on and on. I did not want to be too transparent on this blog because don't know who might be reading, but just put out a couple of thoughts.

Right now I am not in a relationship and I am cool with that...most of the time. I have my moments, but it has allowed me time to work on focus on me. We are all works in progress. Keyshia Cole (who I think can't sing at all) has a song with the words "you complete me," This is NOT what I want in a relationship. You do not complete me, you compliment me. I am whole and want you to be whole to. I got your back and I am down for you and your vision, but if you can't live or function when I am not there...not good.

Okay, I am done for now. I think the next assumption people make about me that I will write about is that when I am out in groups I am not having fun...didn't know how to word it completely, will explain when I write next. I am trying to write and read more. Right now reading having a Mary Heart in a Martha World, great book by Joanna Weaver.

No comments: