Pages

Monday, December 1, 2008

Shocked by what is right


I had trouble with this title, but it finally come up with something, but not too happy...open to suggestions. A lot of times when we see people doing what is right we are shocked...I think one person said it best was Chris Rock in his HBO special. When a man wants props for taking care of his kids...that is what you are supposed to do. I pay my bills on time...that is what you are supposed to do. These are just a couple of examples of things that people want recognition for, but in a sense that is what you are supposed to do. There are few things that stick out in my mind about when people are shocked by what is right.


I have a friend who is married and I love her and her husband (just using him as one example...I have more). I had a conversation with a person and I used her husband as an example. Her husband is caring, smart, great friend, great husband, and so much more. When I describe him sometimes I feel as if he is the exception...not the norm. People are amazed when we talk about his qualities because they are so rare, but he is only doing what he is supposed to do. I am not saying he is perfect and I do not compare other men to him, but to me he is a role model as a husband, friend, black man, man, just human being in general. He lives a life as an example which a lot of people do not do.


Another area where people are shocked at what is right is kids...You see kids that have great manners, respectful, and behaving and you find that shocking. So many kids today are not being raised by their parents, they are left to do whatever, and are given no structure. This leads to a lot of problems. When I was growing up I was not a perfect child and I did not have perfect parents, but there were expectations and if I acted a fool...my parents acted a fool. When I was growing up I use to ask my parents for money for good grades...their response was you do not get paid for what you are supposed to do. I think this concept is lacking with today's parents and kids. I think you have so many kids out of control today that when you see a kid acting semi right you are so surprised...this is not right.

I am pretty sure there are several more examples, but these are just a couple that stick out to me.


1 comment:

Brothers Blog said...

I can totally feel you on this. I think this is just what society has become. We shouldn't be shocked at someone doing what they're supposed to but it's just a sign of the times. So many people do the wrong thing that when someone is actually doing right such as in your examples it sort of does shock you because we now sort of expect the worse of people and just hope for the best.