Pages

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Blessed!!!

Yesterday I attempted to write a blog on sacrifice and some how tie in the celebration of Dr. Marin Luther King, Jr.'s birthday and what was going on in Haiti...every time I attempted to write I cried.  So much has been on mind and dealing with so much I honestly did not have the words.  This morning while at my desk I was working, going through emails, reading blogs, and glancing at twitter (great multitasker) and something really struck me....

I am Blessed!!!

This is not a statement out of vainity or self centeredness, but a realization that I think a lot of people need to come too.  One of my favorite people on twitter to follow was attempting to raise funds to get laptops to people working in Haiti to help with the recovery mission. His passion inspires me and makes me think.  Watching the news stories and seeing what the people of Haiti are having to go though makes me hurt.  One person I know stated the fact that the conditions in Haiti were not the best of things before the earthquake...now they have been hit by a natural disaster that has left them worse....

Saying all this, as Americans we take for granted the blessings and things that we have in this country.  This weekend I had to catch myself...I was complaining because I loaded my dishwasher and it was broken. I was mad that I had to take out the dishes and wash them by hand...I got to thinking, there are people who have nothing and are still grateful for being alive. My church asked us to bring blankets, bottled water, and sneakers to donate to the people in Haiti. Going though my closets I had so many shoes that I have not worn in forever and had 4 pair of sneakers that were practically brand new that were collecting dust.  There are people out there with no shoes. 

I am tired of complaining about what I don't have, and I am thankful for what I do have!  I am blessed with life, family, friends, and so many other things...my blessings are more than the things that I have. They are things that you can't quanitfy in value. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So true. I just chopped off all my hair and didn't cry one bit because I thought of all that I have while others have literally nothing and are probably going to be sleeping somewhere cold tonight - so what are a few hairs off all sides? Remembering our blessings really is a vital part of life...

My best, Lynn

Humbly Beautiful said...

So true! I am in the process of letting my hair grow out and then donating it to locks of love. We take so much for granted...the little things.