Pages

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Answer to Formspring Question

This post was inspired by a question on formspring that I received today. I am assuming it came from a twitter or blog follower (most people on facebook don't see my formspring tab). Here is the question:
In reference to your post dated March 8, 2010, "Being a woman...more than being single or married": As someone who has never been in a relationship, do you feel you have enough knowledge/experience to back this post up?
Original Post was me venting some of my thoughts after attending a conference at church.  I had to go back and read what I wrote to be able to respond to the question. I honestly wish I knew who sent the question I  do hope the read my response.

My response is simple and something I get frustrated about often. People often assume just because I have not been in a relationship that I don't have the knowledge or experience to comment on certain things. A lot of people also think I can't understand things about relationships.  I will admit I am not expert, but that does not negate how I feel and what I see.  I honestly do not know what points he was referring to in my original post so I am going to bullet point my response and hope that it answers the question.

  1. Me being a woman is not based on who I am with or not with. Rather I have been in a relationship or not I still understand what being a woman is from my perspective. A person who chooses to be single their whole life (some people do) does not make them less of a man or a woman.
  2. In original post I had issues with everything going back to men....if I never met a man in my life I would still be a woman.  My life does not revolve around a man...and no I am not the super "independant woman" (will write about more in next point)
  3. Although I have never been in a relationship it does not mean I don't know what I want in a relationship. I have been approached by men...and women on various occasions, and have actually "talked" to a few, but a relationship never evolved. Dating in high school was not an option, had other things going on in college, and now I am an adult. Do I want to be in a relationship yes, but it is not the focus of my life...when it happens it happens. I do have my moments when I question, but overall I am good.
  4. Being a wife or a mother does not make me a woman, but they are roles that women play. One day I hope to fill those roles, but am I less of a woman, because I am not in those roles at this point in my life...NOPE! I think so many people see a single person and assume that there is something wrong if they are single...maybe they are happy where they are in life, maybe they are working on some things for themselves.
I honestly don't know if this answers the question that was posed. If the person who posed the question will clarify that would be great!  I just said on twitter...I am so not a writer. I blog to vent and get out my thoughts. They don't always make sense, but they are a part of what is going on in my head.

No comments: