Pages

Sunday, September 26, 2010

Having an Educated Faith

One thing that gets me about my faith is there is a lot to read & know and honestly....I have not done it. I think over the past year I have developed and want to learn more about what I believe in because of questions that came in my mind that I had yet to receive the answer for.

Merriam Webster's dictionary defines faith as:

1.a : allegiance to duty or a person : loyalty b (1) : fidelity to one's promises (2) : sincerity of intentions
2
a (1) : belief and trust in and loyalty to God (2) : belief in the traditional doctrines of a religion b (1) : firm belief in something for which there is no proof (2) : complete trust
3
: something that is believed especially with strong conviction; especially : a system of religious beliefs faith>


I think all a great definitions, but the key that got me that I think that faith should be educated and backed up....even if there is no proof. II Timothy 2:15 says "Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth." Which I agree with, but how can every person have the education and the ability to dissect the scriptures and the history?

I think about my older family members and their faith some did not have a college education, or even a high school diploma, but they studied their Bible and were able to back up what they believed in. When I see some people who have a zealous love of the Lord, without any understanding of the scripture I wonder sometimes is that ok?  I mean they live out their faith without a complete understanding of what they believe....no proof.

I think rather you are person that believes in God or any religious faith you have to have some realization that some things you just can't explain. We do not have the answers to everything....probably will never have the answers to everything.

Just some things I have been thinking about when it comes to my faith this week.  We will see where this leads me.

No comments: