Pages

Sunday, September 19, 2010

New Series: Faith

Yesterday while I was reading and thinking I decided to start a series on my blog about faith. On a few of my posts I have talked a little about my faith and what I believe in and even some of what I question. I think faith is a process and we have to grow and learn more about what we believe in. 

One of the girls I mentor through my church stated she was an atheist, I said okay and asked why, she then said she was joking, but was shocked at how I responded. A lot of people like to quote the scripture Joshua 24:15...."but as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord." I am not saying the agree or disagree with that, but I believe that people have to come to a decision about their faith for themselves. I feel that people have to be educated about their faith and not follow blindly, if the girl I was speaking with could articulate why she believed what she believed, I might disagree, but it might be a part of her figuring out her faith in the long run.

I question a lot of things, just not about faith, but life in general, so why should my faith not bring up questions in me.  I know what I have been taught, and I know what I have been told, but I am in the process of learning and reading for myself. This series will help me process some of what is in my head and in my heart. Some things will be funny, some things will be serious, some might even be controversial, but everything will be what I observe, question, and feel. 

I think a lot of times people subject their faith to a feeling, an emotion, or just ritual.  I am not saying those things do not play a part, but I do think whatever you believe in should be backed up by knowledge, you don't know everything, but you should be able to defend your faith....even if others disagree.

These posts will usually be on Sunday afternoons after I leave Church because it will give me a time to reflect and think. I am open for questions and suggestions. Hope you enjoy and join in the convo...

Sidenote.....It is 2:00 am and I am up, WHY???? I need to go to sleep because I will be up in a few hours. It is going to be a long day!

No comments: